Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dream Distorts Into Belief

So many days have gone by since the immortal words were uttered by  Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in his famous speech, "I have a dream!"  We all recognize that a dream can be so fleeting sometimes to be lost in the wind leaving less than a memory behind.  While every year parades are held nationwide to celebrate the life of the Rev. King, the dream seems sometimes to be less potent than the original words.

African-American community activists would argue with the devil himself that the dream of the Rev. King has not altered in any way.  To say that the dream has somehow lost its meaning over the years would be blasphemy.  Still, we have to consider the number of racial and prejudicial acts reported in the news each day.  We have to remember that although the law is considered to be on the side of right, public opinion and thought do not necessarily follow.

Today in the year 2012 man is still judged by the color of his skin all across the world.  The Native American Indian is still look down upon and can be found in some of the poorest areas of the nation, trying to survive in a country that should provide them with a promised land.  The African-American today finds himself not only disavowing his own kind but actually killing his own people.  Even the renowned white man, Caucasian, has lost much of his luster, involved in too many crooked and shady deals that now make him out to be nothing more than the Devils agent.

Well, I have a dream also.  My dream is a far cry from that of Rev. King but I believe it is shared among the populace.  I believe that children can live lives innocent and free from death, horror and crime.  I believe that we can all grow up in a world that allows us to be creative and productive as to afford us all the material gains we desire.  I believe that all men, women and children can lead a happy life among peers that share the same dreams, hopes and desires.  I believe we will know our differences and learn how to deal with each of them.  I believe that no one will go one day wanting for anything.  I believe that this thing called poverty will be eradicated from the face of this earth never to exist again.  I believe in the power of an individual to do good, to create good, to live good and to embody good.  I believe we will  ascend to the stars.

These things I believe, and so I wonder, what is the difference between my belief and the Rev. King's dream of a promised land.  Yes, a dream may be fleeting but a belief once instilled and embedded in an individual, and a race of people, can never have its strength lessened over time.  A true belief can never be lost like a whisper in the wind.  And, so I believe, and I continue to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the beginning of what I hope will be something great.

Please Donate to help us create ways to help those who are socially disadvantaged.